8oz butter/margarine, softened
5oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
10oz plain flour
1.5 tsp cinnamon (add more if you want- i just put some in and tested the mix)
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5
1. Put the butter/margarine into a bowl and mix with the sugar until smooth and creamy
2. Stir in the egg, then add the flour. Combine to make a dough
3. Add the cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. You should do this by putting it onto the dough and then mix it in (use whatever method you like, as long as it works). Make sure it is evenly distributed. You may want to try the dough (it is safe, despite popular belief. I have been eating raw cake mix all my life.) to test whether there is enough cinnamon
4. Knead the dough a little to add the air you knocked out when mixing in the spices
5. Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and put onto a greased baking tray.
6. Put cookies in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden ( mine took about 25-30 minutes, but the original recipe says 15. Bearing in mind my cookies were rather large...)
7. Allow to cool then eat!
I hope this recipe works as well for you as it did for me!
I'm off to grab another cinnamon cookie now. Happy baking!
The cupcake faerie